Description
"Schooner Now a Museum
The sails stowed away an the engine quieted the schooner. Theresa E. Connor is now tied silently to a jetty in Lunenburg harbor serving as a tourist attraction.
The Connor, built in 1938 and used by the Lunenburg fishermen to catch cod, was restored last year as a Centennial project. It is now a permanent Lunenburg Fisheries Museum and is open to the public from June 1 to Sept. 15.
The Connor was the last schooner from Lunenburg to dory fish. By this method, the Connor lowered eight dories in the morning to fish for cod. In the evening the two-man dory crew would be picked up. Sometimes thick fog would prevent contact with the schooner and the dories would have to brave the elements alone. Some crews were never found.
Crews to work in the dories became hard to find and eventually the Connor had to be taken out of service to make way for more modern steel ships.
Below decks the crowded sleeping and eating quarters hint at the hardships endured by teh crew when she was out to sea in a North Atlantic gale."
Schooner Now a Museum
- Type
- image
- Views
- 933
- Source
- Pictou Advocate
- Added
- Jul 3, 2017
- Contributed by
- Susan Parker
Related Documents
J.D.B Fraser letter from 1846
Another letter sent to J.D.B. Fraser from a S.L.
Desk
Butler's desk owned by Thomas McCulloch Circa 1810-12
Children Of Alexander & Annie MacKenzie
Marion And Janie
George Arthur McDonald
Arthur MacDonald
Marguerite MacKay Sutherland Photo Album
Esther Elizabeth, Pine Hill Student 1922 and a group children
Crichton Family Papers
Tax receipt