Description
The Slip 1895
james and John Yorston, in partnership with John Meagher, built a slip track, shown here under construction in 1895, that could be towed into the water and sunk. Ships would slide down the track when they were launched. Most of the square riggers of the day had to be 'coppered" - have copper based paint on the bottoms to preserve the wood.
John MacQuarrie, Alexander MacDonald, and john Mills were divers at the slip.
This was in the "valley". east of Battery Hill, where the wartime Crwon corporation Foundation Maritime Company built a slip in the 1940s.
The Yorstons built a barque, Orquell, operated a fishing boat, Ada Mildred, and also owned a steamer, Beatrice.
James Yorston served twelve years as a town councillor, and two mayoral terms, from 1897-1899.
The Slip 1895
- Type
- image
- Views
- 1,134
- Added
- Jan 6, 2015
- Contributed by
- Haggis Admin
Related Documents
J.D.B Fraser letter from 1846
Another letter sent to J.D.B. Fraser from a S.L.
Desk
Butler's desk owned by Thomas McCulloch Circa 1810-12
Children Of Alexander & Annie MacKenzie
Marion And Janie
George Arthur McDonald
Arthur MacDonald
Marguerite MacKay Sutherland Photo Album
Esther Elizabeth, Pine Hill Student 1922 and a group children
Crichton Family Papers
Tax receipt